In 1935 a small group of people who had been producing plays in local church halls since 1924 decided to provide a theatre centre for themselves. From the dedication of these people who had no money or rich patronage has grown the modern theatre that Highbury is today. The original theatre on the site was built almost entirely by the men and women members themselves during the early years of World War 2 using as a basis a wooden Mission Chapel which itself had been a hospital hut for World War 1 veterans.
Amongst the founding group was John English OBE whose deep interest and dedication to Theatre continues to inspire members even after his death in December1998. It was John who, with others, had the vision to form the Little Theatre Guild of Great Britain.
Highbury Theatre Centre opened in May 1942 and has continued to be used by a variety of activities from that day. Properties adjacent to the original site have been purchased as they have become available and in the 1980's a major rebuild of the premises was made possible. As with all community ventures there will always be something more that can be done and so it is with Highbury where we continue to develop our facilities and skills..
For an outline of the history of the early days of Highbury Theatre Centre click here.
Audience Survey June 2012
In line with the Highbury mission which is to raise, develop and re-define the standards of Community Theatre and our Founder Member, John English's motto " a good theatre never stands still" audiences were invited to complete a questionnaire when leaving from A Servant of Two Masters staged by Highbury Players and Our House by the Youth Theatre in June/July 2012.
The survey was designed to find out about their theatre going habit, how satisfied they were with the Highbury experience and to receive ideas on how we might improve it.
The results of the survey are set out in a consolidated article (pdf) for consideration and comment by members.
Past Productions by Highbury Players.
The first production at the then new theatre in May 1942 was Arms and the Man by Bernard Shaw produced by John English.
Click for a selection of photographs of productions across the years.
Click for list of playscripts held in Highbury Theatre Centre Archives
Click for a list of all of the Main House productions by Highbury Players to date in the Highbury Little Theatre.
Click for list of Studio Productions by Highbury Players and of Highbury Youth productions.
Click for a list of productions by Highbury Players prior to creating Highbury Little Theatre.
Click for a list of experimental and Student plays produced in period 1943-1946.
Click for all productions in the Highbury
1998/1999 season productions
1999/2000 season productions
2000/2001 season productions
2001/2002 season productions
2002/2003 season productions
2003/2004 season productions
2004/2005 season productions
2005/2006 season productions
2006/2007 Season Productions
2007/2008 Season Productions
2008/2009 Season Productions
2009/2010 Season Productions
2010/2011 Season Productions
2011/2012 Season Productions
2012/2013 Season Productions
2013/2014 Season Productions
2014/2015 Season productions