Since its inception Highbury Theatre Centre has always had a dynamic development plan for the site, the buildings and their contents and usage. Through the generosity of several charities, the public and members, together with shrewd management of finances the Trustees and Management Committee have been able to develop a well-equipped and functional set of buildings.
General Information (pdf)
Notes for Visiting Companies
Main House/Stage layout
Stage Fly Bars
Photographs of the facilities
- Front of House
- Entrance and Lower Foyer
- Inner Foyer
- Members Bar
Art and Flower Display area
Lift to stage level and to Upper Corridor leading to Studio Theatre.
- Upper Foyer
- Access by stairs or by stair lift for disabled persons.
- Area for meetings, socials, etc for approximately 50 persons.
Kitchen for serving light meals.
Access to two Boxes in Main Auditorium and to Technical Box for Stage Lighting & Sound.
- Main Auditorium
- Stepped seating for 140 with capability of accommodating wheelchairs by removal of seats in front row. Seating Plan
Hearing Aid system.
Walkway access over auditorium to two lighting bridges.
- Main Stage
- Proscenium arch stage with a forestage which converts to small orchestra pit (maximum 3 + conductor). Pass doors each side. Steps each side to auditorium. Red side drawn curtains.
Stage dimensions - Procenium Width: 16Feet, Stage Depth: 30Feet, Flats Height: 12Feet, with fly gallery giving maximum10Feet fly height. Forestage 4Feet deep.
Working show scenery store at stage right with full height access from outside theatre at stage left. Limited wing area at stage left.
Stage Manager's desk with show relay and call, talk back, cue lights and house telephone.
All lighting and scenery bars flown on ropes or winches operated from straight pull fly gallery above stage right. Stage Dimensions and Stage Section and Main House/Stage layout (diagrams in pdf.).
- Main Stage Technical Equipment
- Zero88 48 way Leap Frog memory lighting desk and 3-phase power analogue packs located in flys and on lighting bridges.
Range of 500W and 1KW profile, Fresnel, PC and flood lanterns to hang on lighting bars and wired back on trailing leads.
DMX controlled moving effect and LED luminaires
16/4/2 sound mixing desk. 400w stereo main auditorium amp with 100w stereo side stage amp.
Denon cassette tape deck, Sony CD and Mini Disk recorder/player, Pc based Sound Cue System.
Cinema system - Bluray/dvd player. Fixed motorised screen at procenium arch. Fixed 5klux HD projector
Patch panel for balanced sound lines from main stage.
Front of House sound system.
Talk back from lighting and sound positions, Flys and Green Room to Stage Manager's desk.
Cue lights for Sound and Lighting and Pit.
Show sound and video relay.
- Dressing Rooms and Green Room
- Three Dressing rooms with possibility of using Studio Theatre and a fourth room for large cast productions.
Dressing Rooms equipped with mirrors and lighting above dressing table and with toilets.
Show sound relay with call to all locations.
Green Room talk back and phone to Stage Manager's Desk. Video of stage.
Green Room with tea making and microwave oven facilities.
- Studio Theatre
- Located on second floor at rear of building being approximately 25 Feet by 30 Feet and 12 Feet high.
This space is capable of seating up to 40 persons for a performance.
- Sprung dance floor.
Prewired lighting grid to patch panel.
Zero88 12 way 2 preset lighting desk and packs to a single phase 60 Amp power supply.
Stereo sound system, Pc based Sound Cue System.
- Rehearsal Room
- The Harlequin Room is located in a separate building to the rear of the theatre. It is designed to be the same size as the main stage to allow accurate blocking of movement.
- Scenery Workshops
- Large scenery workshops and storage areas are located in separate buildings to the rear of the theatre.
- The Highbury Players are fortunate in having built up an extensive wardrobe of costumes and accessories for many periods. These are housed in a large area of the second floor of the building.
- A selection of origional early ladies costumes is shown here.
- Properties have been accumulated over many years and are stored under the main stage area.
- A collection of papers and photographs relating to the development of Highbury Theatre Centre and to the Highbury Players dating back to the 1920's. A library of plays and other books on theatre.
A listing of plays is available as a PDF.
List of copies of playscripts, by title (pdf)
List of copies of playscripts, by author (pdf)
- Centre Offices
- An adjoining terraced house accommodates the Centre administration office.